This article illustrates how you can install and use floating RLM and FLEXlm licences from the Foundry. This covers both how to install and run the licences on the server machine and how to connect the other machines on your network to the license server so they can use the licenses. Note that these other machines are referred to as "client machines" in licensing terminology.
On the server side, you will need to install the Foundry License Tools (FLT) on your server machine and install the license keys using the Foundry License Utility (FLU). On the client side, you can install the license using the FLU or the Product License Dialog.
This article is relevant for Nuke, Mari, Hiero, Ocula, Collectives and RLM Modo licenses.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have purchased MODO on its own and do not have an RLM license for it then please follow the instructions in the following article: Q100139: How to Install a MODO License
OSX and Windows
- On OSX this will be installed to Applications > The Foundry > Licensing Tools 7.1.
- On Windows, from the Start menu, navigate to All Programs > The Foundry > FLT 7.1v1 then right click on the "Foundry License Utility" and select "Run As Administrator".
1. Download the Foundry License Tools
4. The FLU will ask if you wish to start or restart the RLM/FLEXlm server. Please enter Yes and hit retuenr.
1. Download the product installer for your platform and install it.
2. Launch the product.
NOTE: On Windows please launch the product as administrator by using the right click context menu option 'Run as administrator' to install your license to the correct directory.
3. The licensing dialog will appear when the program fails to find a license. Select 'Install License' then select 'Use Server'.
5. Click Launch to launch the product
The Foundry License Utility (FLU) will verify a license for you and install it to the correct location(s) on your machine.
OSX and Windows
1. Download the Foundry License Utility (FLU)
2. Run the FLU as Administrator or as a Root user.
NOTE: On Windows you can run the FLU as administrator by using the right click context menu option 'Run as administrator'.
3. Run the FLU on the client machine and paste the following line into the License Install tab:
HOST <server name> any 4101
replacing <server name> with the hostname of your server, e.g.
HOST red any 4101
1. Download and unzip the Foundry License Utility (FLU)
2. Open a terminal and browser to the directory location where you unzipped the FLU download.
3. Run the following command as a Root user:
./FoundryLicenseUtility -c 4101@<server_name>
replacing <server_name> with the hostname of your licence server, e.g.
./FoundryLicenseUtility -c 4101@red
The FLU will create both an RLM and FLEXlm client licence
This will install a client licence file on disk enabling the machine to get a licence from the server.
Using an environment variable
As an alternative to creating a client license file you can set an environment variable called "foundry_LICENSE" to point toward the server. For example, if your licenses are running on port 4101 on a server machine called "red" then you would set
For help with setting environment variables please see Q100015: How To Set Environment Variables
Please refer to the Foundry Licensing Tools User Guide for instructions on how to run the Foundry license tools and float licenses on your network.
Keywords: floating, license, installation, FLT, FLU